I bought Modern Mending for Kindle. It is wonderful, yet I needed the book to leave open at a page while my hands are free to mend. I also bought a few on the mending supplies and look how gorgeously they were sent to me! Erin: Thank you for the information (the book and ebook are highly informative with further references. They are also inspiring and beautiful!) and care in your package. I will be passing the book and knowledge forwards.
What a beautiful book, it covers every type of mending imaginable & more. A great resource to help slow the amount of clothing & textiles which are ending up in landfill due to damage or wear & tear. This stuff should be taught in schools. Well done Erin.
After I purchased this great book for myself I have now purchased it as it as a gift for a friend who will use and treasure it. Such an important book to help with rethinking clothes and how they can be repaired and reused with style and whimsy!
We hold repair cafes where volunteer menders of different ages come together to help people repair their textiles, assisting on the repair and teaching them the skills to do it themselves. This book has been so helpful. Volunteers have learnt new skills, it is great for cute mending ideas, and is a great book to teach others from. Get it, keep it, lend it. Treat it well so it can get used by multiple generations. Throw it away? No way! Fix it at a repair cafe.
This is such a beautiful book. It covers all the basics of good ‘old-fashioned’ mending. It brings back fond memories of my mother’s ever present mending basket. And, mostly winter evenings, spent repairing various items of clothing. The book offers very useful, easy to follow suggestions and instructions.
I am sure that needle felting will be an often used solution for me in the future. But best of all, it will be a valuable resource for our repair cafe and volunteers. Thank you so much Erin for the inspiration and your generous offer to repair cafes.
Modern Mending the book: bigger, better and with a new low price
I purchased a large quantity of books at a discount, and I'm passing on the savings to you.
The Australian second edition of Modern Mending has 272 pages and the following new bits:
- 32 extra pages (but 36 more in terms of content – we did some clever reorganising to fit in more tutorials!)
- 'This goes with that', featuring nine common fabric types with actual-size photographs and descriptions of the best fabrics, yarns, threads, needles and techniques to mend them with
- three new case studies (now 25 in total)
- five new step-by-step tutorials:
- Scotch and honeycomb darning (three methods + heaps of suggestions for variations)
- secret patch (invisible)
- patch for thin socks
- a new shoe-mending inspiration section
- an index (with a section listing all the potentially invisible mending techniques and their page numbers)
In Australia, we send millions of tonnes of clothing to landfill each year, and our clothing consumption is one of the highest in the world. But the good news is that mending is trending and it’s never been easier to repair and reinvent your favourite clothes.
Modern Mending is a comprehensive guide to mending clothes that combines creativity, sustainability and fun. Inside you'll find:
- Step-by-step instructions for a wide range of mending techniques, with full-colour process photographs, illustrated diagrams and troubleshooting tips
- stitching (2 knot methods + 17 stitch methods)
- patching (6 methods)
- darning (8 methods)
- needle felting (4 methods)
- machine darning (2 methods)
- 5 extra tutorials and sets of tips for buttons, snags, ladders, zippers and shoes
- 25 case studies of mended garments, with the story behind each repair and the techniques and materials used
- 10 sections full of mending guidance and motivation (I like to think of them as paper-based hugs)
- Helpful Tips
- Thoughts Before Mending
- Playing Around with a Design
- Tools of the Trade
- Fabric 101
- This Goes With That (common fabric types with actual-size photographs and descriptions of the best fabrics, yarns, threads, needles and techniques to mend them with)
- Care: Prevention & Maintenance
- Share the Love & Increase Your Impact
- Should I Redo it?
- Mending for Others & Valuing Your Time
- Recommended Reading
- 7 interviews with inspirational modern menders from around the world, with photographs of their work
- 6 cups of tea
- 3 amusing cat photos
- 2 references to the Incredible Hulk
- 1 zillion helpful tips
NOTE: This is a signed copy of the book; please specify in the comments at checkout if you would like the inscription to be addressed to a particular person. If you would prefer no signature, you can specify that, too.
If your local bookshop or library doesn't yet stock Modern Mending, you can ask them to order it in.
For wholesale inquiries, please contact the publisher of the relevant edition.
Australian second edition
published by Affirm Press
published by Search Press
German edition (Geschickt Geflickt)
published by Stiebner Verlag
This shop is in slow mode so I can do alllll the things – including running this shop and running after two tiny tots – and enjoy my life. Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.
I'm currently dispatching orders once a week; place your order by 5pm Thursday Melbourne time (AEST) for dispatch by Monday.
(NOTE: I drop off most orders at my local post office on Fridays, but I'm told they don't physically leave the post office and start making their way to you until Monday.)
If you select Express Post at checkout, it will speed up Australia Post's delivery timeframe but won't speed up my process.
After your order has been packed, you will receive an email notification with your Australia Post tracking number, which you can use to check on the delivery status of your order.
Customers in Northcote, Thornbury and nearby suburbs (subject to capacity) can select local delivery at checkout. Local delivery is extra-slow and coincides with my pram-walking/kid-wrangling schedule, up to one week after purchase. ٩(｡•́‿•̀｡)۶