I've sold out of the first edition of Modern Mending, and the second edition is due to arrive in February 2021. Sign up for notifications to find out when it's here.
I am not taking preorders but you can preorder it now from your local bookshop (ISBN 9781925972290 if you're in Australia or New Zealand; international edition details coming soon).
The Australian second edition has 272 pages and the following new bits:
- 32 extra pages (but 35 more in terms of content – we did some clever reorganising to fit in more tutorials!)
- 'This goes with that', featuring nine common fabric types with actual-size photographs and descriptions of the best fabrics, yarns, threads, needles and techniques to mend them with
- three new case studies (now 25 in total)
- five new step-by-step tutorials:
- Scotch and honeycomb darning (three methods + heaps of suggestions for variations)
- secret patch (invisible)
- patch for thin socks
- a new shoe-mending section
- an index! (with a section listing all the potentially invisible mending techniques and their page numbers)
In Australia, we send millions of tonnes of clothing to landfill each year, and our clothing consumption is one of the highest in the world. But the good news is that mending is trending and it’s never been easier to repair and reinvent your favourite clothes.
Modern Mending is a comprehensive guide to mending your own clothes that combines creativity and sustainability. Inside you'll find:
- step-by-step instructions for a range of mending techniques - stitching, darning, patching, needle felting and machine darning - with a troubleshooting section called "What could go wrong?" at the end of each tutorial
- a quick-fix section for buttons, snags, ladders and zippers
- 22 case studies of mended garments, with the story behind each repair and the techniques and materials used
- interviews with eight inspirational modern menders from around the world, with photographs of their work
- three amusing cat photos
- two references to the Incredible Hulk
- six cups of tea
- a zillion helpful tips
NOTE: This is a signed copy of the book; please specify in the comments at checkout if you would like the inscription to be addressed to a particular person. If you would prefer no signature, you can specify that, too.