Love the look of sashiko-style mending but don't know where to start? Kate has put together a splendid sashiko-inspired kit for beginners with everything you need to start mending jeans and other clothing. Packaged in your choice of gorgeous, handmade, denim zippered pouch or cute paper envelope embellished with a first-aid cross, each kit contains enough material to mend at least two average-sized knee holes.
- an easy-to-follow, step-by-step starter guide to sashiko-style mending
- 2 x skeins of Olympus sashiko thread from Japan (white and a surprise contrasting colour)
- 2 x Olympus sashiko needles from Japan
- 3 x unique pre-cut patch fabrics (see note below)
- fabric pins
- fluorescent orange sewing thread for basting (temporarily stitching) fabric in place
- sticky water-soluble stabiliser, pre-printed with a dot grid (the easiest, quickest way to transfer designs onto fabric)
- fusible web (optional) for easier mending
Made by Sewing with Kate in Sydney, Australia, from Japanese and Australian materials.
NOTE: Each kit contains one-of-a-kind natural fabrics (high-quality linen, denim and/or cotton remnants or offcuts to reduce fabric waste); fabrics and thread colours shown here are for reference only.
This shop is in slow mode so I can do alllll the things – including running this shop and running after two tiny tots – and enjoy my life. Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.
I'm currently dispatching orders once a week; place your order by 5pm Thursday Melbourne time (AEST) for dispatch by Monday.
(NOTE: I drop off most orders at my local post office on Fridays, but I'm told they don't physically leave the post office and start making their way to you until Monday.)
If you select Express Post at checkout, it will speed up Australia Post's delivery timeframe but won't speed up my process.
After your order has been packed, you will receive an email notification with your Australia Post tracking number, which you can use to check on the delivery status of your order.
Customers in Northcote, Thornbury and nearby suburbs (subject to capacity) can select local delivery at checkout. Local delivery is extra-slow and coincides with my pram-walking/kid-wrangling schedule, up to one week after purchase. ٩(｡•́‿•̀｡)۶