Modern Mending is bigger and better! The Australian second edition has 272 pages and the following new bits:
- 32 extra pages (but 36 more in terms of content – we did some clever reorganising to fit in more tutorials!)
- 'This goes with that', featuring nine common fabric types with actual-size photographs and descriptions of the best fabrics, yarns, threads, needles and techniques to mend them with
- three new case studies (now 25 in total)
- five new step-by-step tutorials:
- Scotch and honeycomb darning (three methods + heaps of suggestions for variations)
- secret patch (invisible)
- patch for thin socks
- a new shoe-mending inspiration section
- an index! (with a section listing all the potentially invisible mending techniques and their page numbers)
In Australia, we send millions of tonnes of clothing to landfill each year, and our clothing consumption is one of the highest in the world. But the good news is that mending is trending and it’s never been easier to repair and reinvent your favourite clothes.
Modern Mending is a comprehensive guide to mending clothes that combines creativity, sustainability and fun. Inside you'll find:
- Step-by-step instructions for a wide range of mending techniques, with full-colour process photographs, illustrated diagrams and troubleshooting tips
- stitching (2 knot methods + 17 stitch methods)
- patching (6 methods)
- darning (8 methods)
- needle felting (4 methods)
- machine darning (2 methods)
- 5 extra tutorials and sets of tips for buttons, snags, ladders, zippers and shoes
- 25 case studies of mended garments, with the story behind each repair and the techniques and materials used
- 10 sections full of mending guidance and motivation (I like to think of them as paper-based hugs)
- Helpful Tips
- Thoughts Before Mending
- Playing Around with a Design
- Tools of the Trade
- Fabric 101
- This Goes With That (common fabric types with actual-size photographs and descriptions of the best fabrics, yarns, threads, needles and techniques to mend them with)
- Care: Prevention & Maintenance
- Share the Love & Increase Your Impact
- Should I Redo it?
- Mending for Others & Valuing Your Time
- Recommended Reading
- 7 interviews with inspirational modern menders from around the world, with photographs of their work
- 6 cups of tea
- 3 amusing cat photos
- 2 references to the Incredible Hulk
- 1 zillion helpful tips
NOTE: This is a signed copy of the book; please specify in the comments at checkout if you would like the inscription to be addressed to a particular person. If you would prefer no signature, you can specify that, too.
If your local bookshop or library doesn't yet stock Modern Mending, you can ask them to order it in.
For wholesale inquiries, please contact the publisher of the relevant edition.
Australian second edition
published by Affirm Press
published by Search Press
German edition (Geschickt Geflickt)
published by Stiebner Verlag
This shop is in slow mode while I adapt to life as a new mum! Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.
I'm currently dispatching orders once a week; place your order by 5pm Thursday Melbourne time (AEDT) for dispatch the next day (Friday).
Australia Post is experiencing significant delays. If you select Express Post at checkout, it will speed up Australia Post's delivery timeframe but won't speed up my process.
After your order has been packed, you will receive an email notification with your Australia Post tracking number, which you can use to check on the delivery status of your order.
Northcote/Thornbury customers can select local delivery at checkout. Local deliveries coincide with my pram-walking schedule, usually 1-3 days after purchase. ٩(｡•́‿•̀｡)۶
For the best chance of receiving your order in time for Christmas, order by 5pm on 9 December for standard shipping, and 5pm on Thursday 16 December for Express Post and local delivery.
This shop will close for Christmas at 5pm on 16 December. Orders placed after that time will be shipped in January (exact date to be determined) when the shop reopens. The exception is gift vouchers, which are available for purchase 24/7 and delivered automagically by email!
Check Australia Post's estimated delivery deadline for your country here, then add one week for my processing time.