Love the look of sashiko-style mending but don't know where to start? Kate has put together a splendid sashiko-inspired kit for beginners with everything you need to start mending jeans and other clothing. Packaged in your choice of gorgeous, handmade, denim zippered pouch or cute paper envelope embellished with a first-aid cross, each kit contains enough material to mend at least two average-sized knee holes.
- an easy-to-follow, step-by-step starter guide to sashiko-style mending
- 2 x skeins of Olympus sashiko thread from Japan (white and a surprise contrasting colour)
- 2 x Olympus sashiko needles from Japan
- 3 x unique pre-cut patch fabrics (see note below)
- fabric pins
- fluorescent orange sewing thread for basting (temporarily stitching) fabric in place
- sticky water-soluble stabiliser, pre-printed with a dot grid (the easiest, quickest way to transfer designs onto fabric)
- fusible web (optional) for easier mending
Made by Sewing with Kate in Sydney, Australia, from Japanese and Australian materials.
NOTE: Each kit contains one-of-a-kind natural fabrics (high-quality linen, denim and/or cotton remnants or offcuts to reduce fabric waste); fabrics and thread colours shown here are for reference only.