This course was great and I learnt a lot from Erin, who is a charming and amusing teacher.
Erin encouraged us to send in photos of items we'd like to mend, and gave us suggestions on ways to approach the mending of these old favourites, with either creatively visible or 'invisible' techniques, which has been super helpful. Seeing the varied mending projects my lovely classmates were working on has been interesting too. So glad I had the opportunity to do this class from Sydney on Zoom.
I thoroughly recommend this class as I really enjoyed it and learnt heaps. Thanks Erin!
Informative and great for more visual-guided learners like me who need to see things being done and ask aaaall the questions. Erin breaks down the process easily and readily troubleshoots our mending dilemmas! Fab course allowing me to feel so much more confident in my mending abilities :)
This was a wonderful intro to mending and I like the idea of there being no perfect way to do something – the course encourages you to try out different methods. Erin is very generous in her suggestions and tips, and gave me a lot of confidence not only to mend things but to do it with some creativity!
The online classes are great fun, and the chance to access Erin's experience and knowledge is fantastic. Other students shared their experiences too, and we all learned a heap. This course has really helped build my confidence and has saved several items in my wardrobe from the rag bin. Thank you Erin!
Erin's enthusiasm for mending is contagious. The book and the course demystify mending techniques with very clear instructions and a wealth of tips and tricks. But more importantly, she has changed the way I think of mending from being a chore to a creative opportunity and something I actually look forward to.
Do you have holes in your clothes and don't know how to fix them? Would you prefer to learn mending from a human and not a book?
Learn how to make your clothes better than new with me, professional mender Erin Lewis-Fitzgerald, author of the book Modern Mending, in this fun, interactive course.
Mend with new friends and get motivated to bust through your mending mountain!
- Wide range of mending techniques: Learn visible and invisible mending methods – including hand stitching, patching, darning and needle felting – and how and when to combine them.
- Live format: Ask questions and have them answered right away, and chat with other students and see what they're mending. Former students say the live-session format increases motivation; by making time for mending, you're more likely to get it done.
- Hand cam: Watch my hands at work while I demonstrate mending tools and techniques.
- Magic computer: Watch me draw on students' before photos (damaged items that need mending) and illustrate specific mending solutions.
- Course textbook: Reinforce and expand on what you learn in class with the course textbook, which you can refer to at any time.
The course is suitable for ages 15 and up; no mending experience is required.
Class sessions will be recorded and available for viewing for up to two weeks after each session.
Modern Mending is the course textbook (my dream come true!) and we will be referring to it often. If you don't already have a copy, you can purchase it here or from your favourite local bookseller.
Class dates & times
Sunday evenings, 6-8pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (UTC + 10), x 6 sessions.
Click here to find the local time conversion for your region.
The first five sessions are devoted to specific techniques. The last session is open, where you can work on your mending projects with my guidance.
- 18 July 2021: introduction + hand stitching
- 25 July 2021: patching
- 1 August 2021: darning part 1
- 8 August 2021: darning part 2
- 15 August 2021: needle felting
- 22 August 2021: open session
This course doesn't cover machine darning, as I can't provide sewing machines or safely supervise your use of them online. But I've written incredibly detailed machine-darning instructions in the book, should you wish to learn it.
I've created a starter kit (optional) that I will mail to Australian students in July before the course begins.
You're welcome to purchase only the individual items you need from this shop, upgrade to fancier supplies if you wish, or get similar supplies locally if you're not in lockdown/quarantine.
Any physical items ordered at the same time as the kit (e.g. a book or additional supplies) will be shipped with the kit in July.
Kit contents (colours and fabrics will vary):
- combination pack of 50 hand-sewing needles (sewing, embroidery and darning) with needle threader
- wool mending yarn for darning x 1 colour*
- wool fleece for needle felting x 2 colours*
- foam block for needle felting
- felting needles x 2
- Steam-A-Seam 2 Lite double-stick fusible web - 12x15cm piece
- Rooftop honey 15g beeswax block*
- stranded cotton embroidery floss for stitching/darning x 2 colours
- assorted fabric scraps for patching and practising needle felting
* If you're vegan, let me know in the comments at checkout and I'll substitute the animal products for vegan ones.
Not included in the kit / please BYO (but if you are stuck in quarantine or lockdown and can't get these things, let me know):
- cup or pot of tea
- computer with a decent internet connection and webcam or a smartphone that can run Zoom teleconferencing software
- clothes or other fabric in need of mending
- sharp scissors (ideally one pair for fabric/thread only and another to cut cardboard and sticky stuff)
- safety pins or fabric pins
- tea towel or other tightly woven cotton fabric to use as a mending sampler
- small piece of thin cardboard (e.g. cereal box or business card) to use as a patch template
- clothes iron
- Modern Mending, the course textbook
Optional tools and materials:
darning mushroom or a small orange or other citrus fruit if you'll be darning socks
- embroidery hoop
- fabric-marking tool (e.g. water-erasable pen or fabric chalk)
- fabric comb
- snag repair needle
Terms & conditions
If you wish to withdraw from this course, you must notify me at least 7 days before the course begins in order to obtain a refund. Refund requests may be submitted to email@example.com - a refund will be made less a $10 administration charge.
No refunds will be provided for class kits or books, and no partial refunds will be provided for missed sessions.
In the event of a course cancellation all fees will be refunded in full.
This shop is in slow mode so I can do alllll the things – including running this shop and running after two tiny tots – and enjoy my life. Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.
I'm currently dispatching orders once a week; place your order by 5pm Thursday Melbourne time (AEST) for dispatch by Monday.
(NOTE: I drop off most orders at my local post office on Fridays, but I'm told they don't physically leave the post office and start making their way to you until Monday.)
If you select Express Post at checkout, it will speed up Australia Post's delivery timeframe but won't speed up my process.
After your order has been packed, you will receive an email notification with your Australia Post tracking number, which you can use to check on the delivery status of your order.
Customers in Northcote, Thornbury and nearby suburbs (subject to capacity) can select local delivery at checkout. Local delivery is extra-slow and coincides with my pram-walking/kid-wrangling schedule, up to one week after purchase. ٩(｡•́‿•̀｡)۶