I created this basic starter kit for students enrolled in the Modern Mending masterclass when access to shops was limited. But now, by popular demand, you can purchase the kit without needing to enrol in the course.
The starter kit is a sampler containing a bit of everything you need to try out stitching, patching, darning and needle-felting techniques. The kit does not include instructions for these techniques; I recommend that you purchase the kit and the book together, or for someone who already owns the book.
Kit contents (colours will vary):
- combination pack of 50 hand-sewing needles (sewing, embroidery and darning) with needle threader
- Scanfil mending yarn for darning* x 1 colour
- wool fleece for needle felting* x 2 colours
- foam block for needle felting
- felting needles x 2
- Steam-A-Seam 2 Lite double-stick fusible web - 12x15cm piece
- Rooftop Honey 15g beeswax block*
- DMC stranded cotton embroidery floss for stitching/darning x 2 colours
- assorted fabric scraps for patching and practising needle felting
* If you're vegan, let me know in the comments at checkout and I'll substitute the wool products for vegan ones and omit the beeswax.
Each kit comes in an Earthpak cardboard gift box, made in Australia from 100% recycled materials.
Optional extras:Not included but available for purchase, should you wish to upgrade:
- Modern Mending the book (the course textbook)
- safety pins or fabric pins
- darning mushroom
- embroidery hoop
- fabric-marking tools
- fabric comb
- snag repair needle
Click here to see all products available in the shop. Let me know at checkout which additional items you would like bundled inside the kit box.
Sign up for the Modern Mending mailing list to be notified of upcoming mending courses.